Halloween is gone and the holiday season is about to kick up in high gear. Halloween is fun but I really live for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It’s especially a fun time of year since my birthday is in November. I feel like every year my birthday on the 17th just kicks off the rest of the holiday festivities.
The downside of the Fall activities is that the days feel shorter. Not being a morning person the dark mornings are an easy excuse for me to hit snooze a few more times than I should. One thing that does help me to jump out of bed is staying hydrated. Maintaining my energy during the peak of holiday season doesn’t hurt either.
In order to do both, I will be drinking this Hydrating Green Smoothie. YUM!
This isn’t just another healthy green smoothie full of healthy vegetables and fruits. I mean, it does have loads of baby spinach, ripe banana and intoxicating sweet kiwi but I want to talk to you about the H2O. Not just any type of water but coconut water.
If you haven’t heard about coconut water or maybe you have but snubbed your nose at it, than hear me out. I’m about to blow your mind. Coconut water has numerous benefits, so many in fact I’ll only name a few.
10 Interesting Facts about Coconut Water
- Potassium – Coconut water has a high level of potassium. In fact, almost 12% of your daily value. Take a hike, bananas.
- Electrolyte Replacement – If you love gatorade but want to watch your sugar levels than go for the coconut water.
- Reduces Cellulite – Can I get an, “Amen?” My thighs thank you.
- Boosts Energy – Skip the coffee at Starbucks and order coconut water instead.
- Detox in H2O form – The quantity of potassium in coconut water fights sodium which is often found in highly processed foods.
- Improves Skin – Whether you have oily skin or breakouts, coconut oil has been proven to clear and tone the skin.
- Lowers Blood pressure – Again the electrolyte nature of coconut water comes to the rescue by lowering blood pressure.
- Aids Digestion – The electrolyte nature of coconut water allows the water to help flush out bad toxins.
- Save Lives – Due to it’s isotonic nature with human plasma, coconut water can be used intravenously to rehydrate patients.
- Stimulates Weight loss – High in fiber and low in calories makes this a perfect drink to gain energy while shedding some pounds.
Are you sold? Isn’t coconut water amazing?
Okay, so I’ll be honest, I don’t like the taste of coconut water. At least not yet. My daughter loves it but my son and hubby also don’t care for the taste. Our family is BIG on smoothies. By big, I mean someone in our household is drinking one every day. 😉 I decided that I needed to make a green healthy smoothy that had coconut water in it. This way, my family would get all the benefits of drinking coconut water without gagging on the taste of it.
My family loves this hydrating green smoothie. I love it because we get all the healthy benefits of consuming coconut water on top of the loads of baby spinach in this smoothie. It was a thumbs up from all the family members. Sweet but light and refreshing in taste.
Here’s how to make your own Hydrating Green Smoothie:
1 cup coconut water
2 cups fully packed baby spinach
2 ripe kiwi
1 ripe banana
Measure and pour coconut water in blender.
Add in banana, kiwi, and two cups of fully packed baby spinach.
Blend on high until spinach is smooth.
I would love to hear from you. If you give this recipe a try, please let me know by giving the recipe a rating and leaving a comment.